Wachusett Mountain Race Team provides excellent programs, coaching, competition and support to junior alpine ski racers. WMRT develops strong base level skills to allow athletes competently participate at USSA junior races

Home

My my My my

Re: U16 Equipment Requirements
Forum: General Discussion
Subject: Re: U16 Equipment Requirements
Posted by: of skiwmrt.com
Date/Time:
Just in from USSA:

As FIS introduced new rules for U14 and U16 racers for 2014/15, a proposal was passed at the 2014 USSA Congress in the Alpine Sports Committee to implement ski dimension regulations down to the U14 level of USSA ski racing. These standards were created in cooperation with representatives from the ski industry to progress athletes gradually from U14 to U18 standards, and were distributed widely in June 2014.

Unfortunately, at this point in time, the recommended skis are not widely available for purchase everywhere across the country. Given the difficulty some athletes are having acquiring skis that meet the new standards, a recommendation has been made to the Alpine Sports Committee to amend the equipment rules to the following:

U16 and U14 athletes may use the equipment of their choice in 2014/15, EXCEPT for athletes competing at the U16 National Championship and Assessment Project, where the standards in the matrix must be adhered to. In addition, any athletes participating in NTG projects in Europe will also be expected to use skis conforming to these standards.

The alpine equipment guide may be viewed here: http://alpine.usskiteam.com/alpine- programs/athletes/rules

It is the firm conviction of the coaching staff of the U.S. Ski Team and USSA development staff that athletes wishing to pursue ski racing at the FIS level should follow the guidelines passed in May.

Patrick Riml
Alpine Director
US Ski & Snowboard Association
1 Victory Lane, Box 100
Park City, UT 84060
o. 435.647.2020 / c. 435.714.2932 / f. 435 940 2760

Rick McCowan wrote:
> Great news! U16 and U14 equipment requirements
> are now "recommended"!

Reply to message    
Message Thread
Subject Posted by When